For more than 180 years these two garden areas have had a special role in the history and social culture of Adelaide.
The built heritage that surrounds these two gardens is also impressive, and on this trail we’ll view some of the late 19th and early 20th century mansions, once owned by the “who’s who” of Adelaide.
Brougham Gardens is named for Lord Brougham, who lived 1778 to 1868. He was Lord High Chancellor of the United Kingdom and founder of the London University.
The Kaurna name is Tantutitingga, which means native lilac place. Native lilac has a wide distribution. It flowers during the depths of winter and is a sign of hope. This name has been adopted because of the gardens’ close proximity to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital where patients and their parents hope for recovery.
In 1972 Aboriginal people established a tent embassy in Brougham Gardens in support of an informal embassy that was started in the same year on the grounds of Parliament House in Canberra.
From this point there are two pathways that go down the hill towards the Women’s and Children’s hospital. The left-hand path is lined on both sides with English elm trees.
But for this trail, please choose the right-hand, lower path. This path goes past three Dutch elm trees (on your right) and several Canary Island pine trees, along with a huge Moreton Bay fig tree.
Stop where the path connects with another path heading off to the left.