The plaque and bench were donated in 2007 by what was then called the “Teddy Love Club” as a symbol of supporting and understanding for bereaved parents.
The Club has changed its name – it’s now called “Bears of Hope” still using Teddy Bears as symbols. It offers support to parents who are bereaved with either miscarriage or infant mortality.
This site was chosen for the plaque because of course it overlooks the Womens and Childrens Hospital. Many patients and families come to spend time here in Brougham Gardens.
From this point, looking east, you can see a collection of buildings behind a red brick wall. These buildings are known collectively as St Ann's College.
The oldest buildings on this site were erected in the late 1920's. Originally, before 1939 it was two private residences.
The original property at 187 Brougham Place was a house, owned by Mr Sidney Wilcox [See pic B 5719]. After his death in the 1930's it was bequeathed to become residential accommodation (originally only for women) affilliated with the University of Adelaide.
It opened to students in 1947 after the Second World War. The college also includes an adjacent building around the corner in Melbourne Street.
Later, St Ann's College acquired the adjoining premises at 191 Brougham Place, with land extending around the corner into Melbourne Street (See photo B 5797) and in 1961 a spacious dining hall and common room were built.
The first principal of St Ann's college was New Zealander, Dr Mary Harding between 1947 and 1952.
Between the 1960s and 1970s, there were substantial additions and alterations to the college buildings. In 1973 the College became co-residential, and there are now approximately equal numbers of male and female students.
The site includes a principal's residence and a tennis court on the corner allotment. It can cater for a maximum of 185 students, living in single rooms, some with ensuites and some with shared bathrooms. Meals are provided.
The site is a State Heritage Place. From this point, walk up the hill to the Church.