The founding of Adelaide in 1837 was partly driven by a desire for religious freedom. In those days, there was legal discrimination in Britain against people who followed religions other than the “Established” church – the Church of England.
In the new colony of South Australia (once described as a “Paradise of Dissent”) all religions (or at least the various Christian denominations) were equal under the law and the followers of each denomination welcomed an opportunity to make their mark with prominent churches of their own.
The first service was held in February, 1861. [The photo B 75076 is the church about 1870 before the tower was added.] A tower was added in 1871 and a lecture hall in 1878 designed by architect Thomas Frost.
The pipe organ was built in 1881 at which time it was “the largest manual organ in the colony”
The organ was restored in 1914. The Church was often featured in postcards and photographs from the 1910s-to the 1930s. There is a lovely view of the church from the middle of Brougham Gardens - the vista is framed by the Adelaide Hills in the background.
The building is in some need of renovation and restoration, funding for which may be uncertain.
Opposite the church there is a bed of roses. Walking further north you will come across a number of other rose gardens dotted around the gardens.
The beautiful assortment of flowers (mostly on show in the warmer months of the year) is one of the main attractions of Brougham Gardens.
Each rose bed features masses of 80 to 100 rose bushes that are surrounded by lawn. The first roses were planted in the Gardens in 1905, with a bed of 24 bushes, but many more followed over the years.
A number of the rose beds are accompanied by commemorative plaques.
Now walk northwards, along the path. Stop next to two tall Italian cypress trees and a single cast iron bollard.