46-06 - The trees of Brougham Gardens

Brougham Gardens contains a very wide array of trees. Many of the exotic species were donated to the gardens by wealthy North Adelaide residents in the 1890’s.

To get to this point, you have just walked past a large carob tree which dates from the 1860s or 70s. Opposite the carob tree was a Turpentine tree from the Middle East.

These two Italian Cypress trees form a frame to the entry pathway.

Nearby there are several California fan palms. These were donated in the 1890s by the then Chief Justice and Lieutenant-Governor Sir Samuel Way. This trail will later go past Sir Samuel’s former home, in Palmer Place.

On the northern edge of Brougham Gardens, you can see a line of Jacaranda trees, that are spectacular when in bloom during November

Further along, to the west, opposite a block of apartments is an unusual Chilean Wine Palm with a fat trunk. It was probably planted in the 1890’s.

The gardens also contain many other palm trees, Manchurian Pear trees, English elm and Dutch elm trees, and isolated one-off examples of trees such as a Duranta, a Japanese Pagoda, a Red Mulberry, a Fiddlewood, a Cotoneaster, a Queensland Brush Box, a Photinia, a “Weeping Fig”, a Coral tree, and two Lilly Pilly trees.

Most of the pathways are lined with one species of tree along the length of the pathway.

• The pathway that runs east-west through the centre of the Gardens is lined with English elm trees.
• Two paths near the Womens and Childrens Hospital are lined with a dozen Hackberry trees.
• The southern edge of the gardens, opposite the hospital is lined with London Plane trees.
• The diagonal path from the south-east corner to the centre of the gardens is lined with a dozen Iowa crab apple trees
• The path that follows the route of the old Bagot Road toewards Lefecvre Tce is lined with white cedar trees

From this point, walk westwards towards O’Connell Street and stop opposite a building with a fish-scaled, tiled tower or spire.

Images

Audio

Audio File 1
View File Record

Map