This is a residential college for tertiary students, operated by the Uniting Church and is available for students at any of Adelaide’s universities, although it is affiliated with Adelaide University. It was founded in 1952 by what was then the Methodist Church. It’s named after Lincoln College at Oxford in the UK.
Originally it was only for young men. Since 1973, women have also been allowed to stay here. It has professional staff: a chief executive, a Dean, an academic tutor and a building services manager. On the right is the East lawn.
To the left of the East Lawn is ‘Federation house” (number 32 Brougham Place). This is the former residence of Sir Richard Chaffey Baker who was a barrister, pastoralist and politician.
Sir Richard was the first South Australian born member of the Legislative Council, and later a Senator and the first President of the Australian Senate. He was knighted in 1895 and appointed Queen's Counsel in 1900. Mr Baker is regarded as one of the founding fathers of federation and was a member of the Federal Conventions of 1891 and 1897-98. It remains a Heritage Listed Building of South Australia, of extreme historical value. In 2009 Federation House was re-opened following extensive renovations. It houses 12 student rooms; a common area; a kitchen and dining room as well as two function rooms. It’s also the residence of the Lincoln College Dean.
To the left of Federation House is Abraham House. It used to be known just as the “Annexe” because it’s connected to the Federation building. It was named to posthumously honour Dr Samuel Abraham who went on from being a resident here in the 1950’s to becoming a paediatrician both overseas and in Australia. Dr Abraham championed philanthropic projects in Malaysia. Abraham House hosts 20 student rooms with reading rooms, kitchen and common areas.
Third from the right, Number 39 Brougham Place (also known as Whitehead) built in 1907 was the home of a former Adelaide Lord Mayor, Sir Arthur Rymill (after whom Rymill Park was named). His father also lived here in the very early 1900’s. This grand villa of sandstone with a fish scale tiled tower is typical of the grand residences of the Edwardian period. The Whitehead building is the residence of the Lincoln College CEO.
The final building, on the left is Milne House – the administration building for Lincoln College. This is number 45 Brougham Place.
This grand residence was built in the late 1880s for wine and spirit merchant George Milne. Federation style houses are relatively rare in South Australia because, in the short period when they were popular, South Australia was less prosperous than neighbouring States.
Federation-style houses in SA were different from those in the rest in Australia in having walls of stone instead of brick and strongly coloured paint rather than white paint on their woodwork.
This was the first building to be bought by the then Methodist Church in 1951 for :Lincoln College. At the time, it cost 25-thousand pounds.
The building has undergone a significant restoration to its external woodwork. Heritage architect Bill Kay designed a new veranda that is as close as possible to the original.
The veranda was officially re-opened during Lincoln College’s Homecoming Weekend in April 2012 as part of the College's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations.
From this point, walk westwards towards the traffic lights. Cross over King William Road to join the western portion of Brougham Gardens.