35-01 Victoria Park / Pakapakanthi in context

This Park retains its shape and form as originally laid out by Colonel William Light in 1837.

Covering 72 hectares, it represents about 10% of the entire Adelaide Park Lands, the largest single Park within them.

Victoria Park/Pakapakanthi is bounded by Wakefield Road to the north, Fullarton Road to the east, Greenhill Road to the south, and East Terrace and Beaumont Road to the west.

Its two neighbouring parks are King Rodney Park/Ityamai-Itpina (Park 15) to the north; and Carriageway Park/Tuthangga (Park 17) to the west.

Victoria Park’s history and development is linked to the horse racing and motor racing events which have dominated its use. However, there are also other, less prominent stories here.

Since the demise of horse racing here in 2007, Victoria Park or Pakapakanthi has been gradually restored, from a state of semi-alienation to a people’s park with a range of open, green and public resources.

From this point, walk northwards along the pathway and stop opposite the next street on the left (Gilles Street)

Images

Audio

Audio File 1
View File Record

Map