35-11 Victoria Park grandstand

Erected in 1882, this grandstand is the oldest surviving building in Victoria Park.

It is constructed of bluestone with red-brick dressings, timber-framed openings (including some stained-glass windows), corrugated-galvanised-iron roof, and timber and cast-iron detailing in typical Victorian era style. This building was State heritage listed in 1986.

Since 2017, the grandstand has incorporated a café which was established by former Australian champion cyclist Stuart O’Grady.

Cycling has become a popular pastime in this area of the park, with a 1.3km criterium race track passing in front of the grandstand and using part of the former car racing circuit.

Now walk across to the red-brick buildings close to Fullarton Road.



Audio File 1
View File Record