This very small building is the city's narrowest home. It is just over two metres (eight feet) wide. In the first decades of the city's establishment, there was little control over land and building size. This house was built in 1880- a year before tighter legislation set out land and property standards.
Captain Linnington bought the land where this tiny house stands in 1837. He sold it to Emmanuel Solomon, who subdivided the acre into 32 smaller lots. These were between six and nine metres (22 and 30 feet) wide.
Patrick Tracey bought Lot 8 for £17.10s in August 1869 to build his home. In 1880, he subdivided the lot. He created this smaller block with a three-metre frontage on Maxwell Street. Here he built this narrow house and rented it out. In 1940, the two houses on Lot 8 were given separate titles. The small rental house survives; Tracey's home was demolished.
This house also shows the extreme living conditions of working-class residents of the southwest corner in the 1880s. This densely populated part of the city was well known for its 'slum-like' conditions. The cost of city land prices made it very difficult for Adelaide's working class to afford a home.
The house is still a private residence today.