This building's distinctive tower may seem to be out of place on Flinders Street. However, it is a symbol of the business that once occupied the premises.
Otto Boettger emigrated to South Australia in 1877 from Germany. In 1877, he set up a manufacturing and repair business for scientific equipment in the colony. By 1890 he was selling around Australia.
Around 1899, Otto sold his business to G.C.W. Kohler. The Kohler family continued to trade under the Boettger name until 1974.
In 1906, G.C.W. Kohler had this building constructed. The tower was included in the design to symbolise the instruments the company made for seeing clearly, including spectacles, binoculars and telescopes.