Like many other Adelaide hotels, this one in its present version dates from the 1880s, even though a hotel of this name stood on the site from 1857. The western half of the hotel dates from that earlier beginning. In 1880-1881, Joseph Orchard, the hotel’s owner, was a paver and bricklayer. He probably helped design and build the main structure that we see today.
The architecture is a simply built and detailed version of the Adelaide vernacular. There is a shaded main facade, simple surrounds to openings, and a roof concealed by a parapet. The ground floor verandah facing Angas Street was removed in 1961 but has been restored.
The name “Seven Stars” or “the Plough” is common among pubs in rural Britain. The stars refer to the constellation Ursa Major, which forms the shape of a plough in the Northern Hemisphere night sky. Ursa Major is generally not visible in southern Australia. The name may also refer to the Pleaides, a cluster of stars in the constellation of Taurus, which is visible from Southern Hemisphere skies.